‘Express Yourself’ is this year’s theme
By Mark Witherspoon
Special to CMR
Registration is now open for the First Amendment Workshop at Iowa State University from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Friday, April 12.
This free workshop is designed for those interested in the First Amendment – students, teachers, advisers, media professionals and community activists – who want to create creative First Amendment activities in their communities. Sessions include a First Amendment refresher mini-course, discussion about current conflicts, an event planner how-to, a group brainstorm about ideas to educate others about the First Amendment and more.
Registration includes lunch, coffee breaks, a T-shirt and a First Amendment tool kit. Space is limited.
From April 8 to 12, the ISU campus will recognize each of the five freedoms in the First Amendment. The theme this year is “Express Yourself.”
- Common Ground: A Discussion about Belief and Non-Belief, organized by McKenna Martin, ISU honors student, Monday, April 8, 5:30 p.m. Campanile Room, Memorial Union.Simon Tam and the Slants, keynote, Tuesday, April 9, 8:15 p.m. Great Hall, Memorial Union.
- Depth & Dialogue Discussions, Wednesday, April 10
A win for the free press, Jared Strong and Doug Burns, the Daily Times Herald, Depth & Dialogue discussion, Wednesday, April 10, noon, Room 169 Hamilton Hall.
- Free-Range Speech at ISU: An Agora History Walk, Sam Clement, ISU honors student, Wednesday, April 10, 4 p.m., Central Campus.
“Nobody Speak: Trials of the Free Press” documentary and discussion, hosted by Greenlee student Paige Anson, Wednesday, April 10, 6:30 p.m., Room 198 Parks Library.
- Feast on the First, Thursday, April 11
Democalypse March, Thursday, April 11, 10 a.m., FAD Tent, Central Campus.
Timmy Ham, a.k.a. Iamsloth, urban artist, live demo, Thursday, April 11, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., FAD Tent, Central Campus.
- Q&A with Timmy Ham, Thursday, April 11, TBA.
First Amendment Days Tent, Thursday, April 11, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Free food, T-shirts, community chalk mural, soapbox speeches.
- First Amendment Workshop, Friday, April 12, 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Check Iowa State’s First Amendment Days website at https://greenlee.iastate.edu/experience/first-amendment-days/fad-2019-schedule/ for the complete schedule.
Contact Julie Roosa, First Amendment specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or for more information.